Had a very interesting discussion with a lady from NODSS last night. NODSS is a national narcolepsy/sleep disorder group. I had emailed them a few times but no one had gotten back to me, so I called yesterday and ended up talking to this woman for about 40 minutes. She was really nice and quite happy to give me as much information as I wanted. A few interesting points came up:
- I need to take my narcolepsy medication in the morning half an hour before I eat. It says that on the box... but I hadn't really been doing that.
- About 1 in 2000 people have narcolepsy or some kind of sleep disorder, whether they know it or not. So I'm not as special as I thought I was (she even said that too).
- I need to start taking my anti-depressants in the evening before I go to bed.
- All my carbs need to go. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
- I need to eat a lot more protein.
- Diet, how often I eat and what time I eat is important. I need to get into the habit of having 5 meals a day - breakfast, lunch and dinner plus 2 snacky meals.
However, finally someone has given me some solid advice on diet. None of my specialists, for any of my retarded conditions, have ever said to me, "Your diet is broken and needs to be fixed." I know it is!!! But I've never had a health professional say it, so I've been able to convince myself it's ok.... plus the OCD doesn't help... aarrrgggggh.
Well, today I head up to my folks for the weekend and it may well be the last weekend of complete and total food debauchery. I had some Special K for breakfast today but tomorrow I will make an effort to have eggs on toast or something along those lines, because apparently that's basically what I need to be having for breakfast from now on. But Special K is so carbalicious!!! No more noms for me.
Have a great Easter, and thank you so much to those who take the time and read what I have to write. Thank you even more to those who go further and take the time to comment - you don't have to, yet you do, and I appreciate it. May the sky rain chocolate upon your brow!!!